Thursday, August 5, 2010

My first fondant covered cake

I was going to make cupcakes for my neighbors birthday party at the skate rink. BUT for some reason they don't allow cupcakes only a cake! What kind of CrAzY rule is that? First off who has any sort of rule against cupcakes must be nuts! Second their rational is that they make more mess than cake. I guess I can't wrap my brain around that since you have plates and forks with cake and someone ALWAYS drops their plate!

Oh well...fondant cake here we go..........

My chocolate cupcake mix (2 batches) to make this double layer 9in cake.
Frosting to hold on the fondant topping. YUM!!!

For this I made marshmellow fondant which would be really good with the chocolate cake and crumb layer as the main "frosting". I rolled it out and thought I knew enough of what I was doing as far as the size went.

NOPE....to BIG! See the folds and trimming it on the bottom was not as easy as I thought it would be. AHHHHHH! This is when I started to STRESS.
I already had all the top fondant decorations made to match her invitation. But, I had to go back and make some larger flowers to cover the folds on the side. Cause once you put the fondant down on the frosting layer on the cake...game over! There is no going back to make it smaller.
Over all I am very happy with it since it was my first attempt and TOTALLY out of my cupcake comfort zone!




Not so sure I will make a cake anytime soon! It is to much STRESS for me! I like having a LOT of chances to make them FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment